the red crayola
the red krayola
l i n k s
e t c .
back to discography page
please send any corrections and additional information (including broken links) to
- the red krayola authorized documentary by amy cargill in progress 2006 - forthcoming 200?
- note: will include video recordings of a chicago show from september 2005.
- mayo thompson ?
cd (leiterwagen) unreleased recordings 2003-2005
- matthias bauer, axel dörner, sven-åke johansson, rudi mahall, sten sandell, mayo thompson; "recently recorded in berlin with some free-music players -- see www.leiterwagen.org. got enough for a couple of devices. they'll be released as solo albums; no idea yet when etc." mayo thompson, 6 may 2003; apparently, this will be a set of covers of red crayola songs (according to mt february 2004) (apparently this project has been shelved)
- official the red krayola biography available as a pdf download at drag city the red krayola site circa 2004 as part of the promotion for 'singles'
- note: also available here.
- the red crayola with art and language olympia or victorine (?)
opera? (unknown venue?) circa 1973-1983-forthcoming 2003?
- "-thompson could be found several years later in new york working with the british conceptual collective art & language. between the mid '70s and the mid '80s a&l collaborated on several thompson/rk pieces, among them the opera olympia (about a murder case in manet's paris) as well as the british masterpieces kangaroo?, black snakes, soldier-talk and corrected slogans." [diedrich diederichsen, artforum january 1998]; note: "olympia act 1" is a track on the "deliverance" "authorized bootleg" cd; "one of his current projects, with sound artist marina rosenfeld, is the completion of the music for a&l's victorine, an "opera" about a french policeman who mistakes the nude figures in paintings by courbet and manet for a serial killer's victims." [franklin bruno, new times los angeles june 10 1999]; said to be released in 2001 [mayo thompson, tape op #16 march/april 2000]; mayo thompson seemed determined that this would be finished at some point, as of february 2004;
- bruce yonemoto the disappearance of memory
multimedia installation (ntt intercommunication center -tokyo, japan) 1999
- soundtrack for "hanabi fireworks" by mayo thompson [monty dipietro, assembly language may 1999]
- stephen prina push comes to love
cd (drag city) 1999
- lyrics to "little lips" by mayo thompson
- hirsch farm project now an invitation to think
multimedia installation (museum of contemporary art -chicago) 18 july-18 october 1998
- "an invitation to think," in a three-part exhibition devoted to the hirsch farm project, a series of annual retreats organized by chicago collector howard hirsch at his home in hillsboro, wisconsin. the show includes an installation at the mca that lowers a gallery ceiling and raises its floor; a theme song by mayo thompson of red crayola playing in the mca bookstore; and an open house at hirsch farms july 25-26 [www.artnet.com 22 july 1998]
- steve cunningham simplicity christmas volume 1 guitar
cd (pamplin music) 1997
- steve cunningham played bass guitar with the red crayola 1966-1968
- the red krayola
t-shirt (drag city) 1995
- the red crayola the quiet album
print? (unknown german label) 1989?
- "described by thompson as a picture of the band, their faces pressed to a car window, printed onto parachute silk. there was no album per se." [puncture number 33, summer 1995]
- mayo thompson gorki and co. the red crayola 33 songs
book (meterverlag -hamburg, germany) 1986
- "gorki and co" is mayo thompson writing about maxim gorki at the turn of the century; "33 songs" includes lyrics to various mayo thompson/the red crayola songs (some of which appear on the 1994 the red krayola drag city cd); the red crayola is credited as werner buttner, albert oehlen, mayo thompson
- ross vasellari virgin prunes: the faculties of a broken heart
book (black sheep press zurich) 1985
- mayo thompson contributes to this book about the virgin prunes
- born in flames
film (independent) 1983?
- the red krayola "born in flames" song used several times in the soundtrack to this film directed by lizzie borden
- the red crayola "ratman the ratcatcher"/"days of future pilots"
7" (unreleased) 1982
- unreleased single rough trade rt 078; presumably mayo thompson redid a vocal in german for the record to come out in germany ("rattenmensch gewichtswachter"/"zukunftsflieger" on konkurrenz/rough trade- west germany 1981) [international discography of new wave 1982/83]
- the red crayola "v.i. lenin, part 1"/"v.i. lenin part 2"
7" (unreleased) 1980
- unreleased single rough trade rt 044
- art & language
exhibition (eindhoven, holland) 9-10 december 1980
- catalogue has photos from the zoran popovic "borba u new yorka" (struggle in new york) film; there are rumors of a 7" single "monsters" from that exhibition [kees van hulst]
- the red crayola "v.i. lenin, part 1"/"future pilots"/"born in flames"/the sword of god"
video (?) 1980
- recorded in gent, belgium
- siouxsie and the banshees pre-debut demo??
unreleased (demo cassette For polydor uk) 1979?
- listed in takeshi umeda's the red crayola mayo thompson the red krayola unofficial fan site as a mayo thompson production; (another one i am not sure about--can anyone confirm or refute this?
- howdy from texas the lone star state
booklet (international artists) 1978
- includes "baghdad on the bayous?" article by mayo thompson; also another article titled "the red crayola 1978". link to mayo thompson's article
- art & language with the red crayola nine gross and conspicuous errors
video (unreleased) 1976
- "by 1976, thompson was in london making nine gross and conspicuous errors, a performance video that has never been released commercially" [franklin bruno, new times los angeles june 10 1999]; released 1975 and credited to mel ramsden as director, according to information from kees van hulst (thank u); video features jesse chamberlain on drums, along with mayo thompson (guitar/keyboards/percusion/voice) and members of art & language; 2 songs from this were released (in black & white?!) in april 2001 on the circuit 9 dvd magazine
- borba u new yorka (struggle in new york)
film (zagreb) 1975
- directed by zoran popovic; includes 4 songs by art & language and the red crayola
- frederick barthelme war and war
book (doubleday) 1971
- frederick barthelme rangoon
book (winter house) 1970
- illustrations for "rangoon", comprising whole chapters in parts, are by mayo thompson. he also appears in "war and war"; barthelme was an original member of the red crayola (1966-1967); barthelme also worked with mayo thompson in saddlesore (1970); and supplied cover photographs for three songs on a trip to the united states & bismarckstrasse, 50 (1983).
- mayo thompson/frederick barthelme
(unreleased "lost" album) around 1970
- may have been recorded as a frederick barthelme solo lp; (note: i have not found any other mention of this anywhere - possible confusion with saddlesore?)
- the red crayola/john fahey
(unreleased "lost" double album) 1968
-"in '67...we recorded some material with john fahey. and our record company went through the ceiling over this. they threatened not to bring us back from california...so rick (barthelme) and steve (cunningham) said, "you go to frisco and get the tapes, and we're going back to texas." so it became my job to do this, because i had started the band. so i came back up here and picked up the tapes, which were reluctantly handed over. we intended to try to do something with them. and then i had to take these tapes back to texas, give them to the record company, and then bust up, that was the end of that." [mayo thompson, from 1996 interview with richie unterberger on www.richieunterberger.com]; john fahey does appear on live 1967
- the red crayola "dairymaid's lament"/"free piece"
(unreleased 7") early 1967
-recorded in 1966 at walt andrus' studio; recorded for "a label run by keith stefek, a local man in houston who had made some money, and he was investing making records. he backed us up to make a single, but it didn't work out." [mayo thompson, tape op #16 march/april 2000]
- the red crayola
("embryonic" lineup) around 1966
- frederick barthelme, guy clark, steve cunningham, bonnie emerson, danny schact, mayo thompson
8/21/2007: more info on forthcoming september 2007 release of 'sighs trapped by liars'
7/23/2007: forthcoming fall 2007 release; red gold entry updated; update to phil wilson entry in producer section (thanx to takeshi umeda); misc fixes to images layout
6/12/2006: introduction released (in april), solo album no longer forthcoming
2/17/2006: "introduction", forthcoming album added + rk documentary in progress & official band biography (thanx to drag city)
9/16/2005: added "live in paris 1978" cover image (thanx to jean-pierre turmel)
9/14/2005: "live in paris 1978" released (thanx to lionel delamotte)
7/21/2004: "singles", "japan in paris in la" released, added cover images
6/9/2004: "japan in paris in la" forthcoming soundtrack added
5/11/2004: "spacelines" compilation added; corrected zoran popovic's name & added translated name for his related film
4/20/2004: "singles" compilation tracklisting (thanx to rian murphy/drag city)
4/13/2004: "singles" compilation update (thanx to rian murphy/drag city); added "local international" cs comp; misc notes
11/3/2003: "born in flames" on essential logic compilation (thanx to stephe dk)
10/26/2003: upcoming singles compilation & mayo thompson solo cds; kunst am blau cd (thanx to mayo thompson, sam jeffries & maxi) + added "wendy gondeln" page link
3/4/2003: upcoming van oehlen cd; added blue guitars singles & link (thanx to dick dykman)
11/13/2002: moved saddlesore single, added reference to 1970 texas revolution issue
11/11/2002: added the red crayola discussion group on yahoo; removed outdated link to another club
10/14/2002: added the balcony, virgin prunes to producer section
4/6/2002: pix for "an old man's dream", "free logo"
3/30/2002: personnel for "blues, hollers and hellos"; possible "japan in paris in l.a." soundtrack forthcoming; work continues on "victorine" (thanx to mayo thompson)
1/29/2002: miscellaneous updates, compilations, the fall "fiery jack" single to producer section
1/19/2002: added new working counter
11/18/2001: further info on the "free logo" 7" (thanx to frédéric d'hérouville)
11/12/2001: added the fall "fiery jack" 7" to producer section; updated links
11/9/2001: more info on the "free logo" 7" (thanx to frédéric d'hérouville)
10/26/2001: added forthcoming "free logo" 7" (thanx to frédéric d'hérouville)
9/5/2001: added "baghdad on the bayous?" article to etc.
7/31/2001: added info from "girl friday" cd ep
7/17/2001: moved page to my new domain white-rose.net (white-rose.net/redcrayola.html)
6/26/2001: added "japan in paris in l.a." film; shanks; loretta & the chipunks; (more) blue guitars (to producer section)
6/20/2001: added chills box set; kleenex (to producer section); hirsch farm project now; virgin prunes book; siouxsie demos; additional information to "9 gross & conspicuous errors" (to etc.)
4/4/2001: added "austin landing" lp
4/3/2001: added "circuit 9" dvd; removed a couple of productions
3/22/2001: added "gorki & co" pic
3/18/2001: added geisterfahrer single
3/13/2001: added tom watson cd; various additions of discographical info (too many to list) (thanx to david nichols & kees van hulst)
1/26/2001: added "born in flames" film
1/10/2001: added "geisterfahrer" lp, red krayola & u-men bootlegs (thanx to takeshi umeda & michael truman)
12/12/2000: added link to japanese fan site
12/5/2000: added celluloid issue of "soldier-talk" (thanx to michael truman)
11/20/2000: corrected title of dj melanie comp; added various productions and mt quote info re: the red krayola/john fahey tapes; mayo thompson interview links (thanx to richie unterberger)
11/17/2000: moved page to new url "http://netjunk.com/users/whiterose/redcrayola.html"; goodbye hotbot as of january 31 2001; and thank u to internettrash.com
10/20/2000: added tour poster
10/14/2000: added blue orchids single (thanx to david nichols)
10/12/2000: new cd released; scritti politti ep; blues, hollers and hellos, soldier-talk & more pics; removed mp3 link- no longer active :(
9/22/2000: added 98 comp appearance; and the red krayola club on yahoo to links page (thanx to fletcher rogers); corrections to cowws "seite a" entry; additions to "wives in orbit" personnel
9/12/2000: added cassell webb to saddlesore lineup; and delayed release date for new ep; mp3 on drag city site
7/31/2000: corrected forthcoming ep title
7/26/2000: added marina rosenfeld cd
7/13/2000: added emily's sassy lime single, more links
6/28/2000: added link to article (thanx to thomas peake)
6/19/2000: added title for new ep (thanx to sam jeffries), chills ep
4/28/2000: added primal scream "sonic flower groove"
4/26/2000: added forthcoming new red krayola release, shop assistants to producer section, counter
4/3/2000: "rattenmensch" label (kumibeat), zig zag flexi, corrections
3/8/2000: van oehlen released; ihr werdet alle sterben muessen cd comp (thanx to stefan geissler); malefactor, ade reissue
2/3/2000: david thomas solo recording, additional info, links
1/28/2000: additional info "songs for ohio", "gorki and co", "rangoon" and 1970 lost barthelme lp (thanx to jeff breeze); added lost fahey/red crayola recording, bulletin boards
1/24/2000: corrections and additional info on "songs for ohio", "gorki and co", reissues and "rangoon" (thanx to jeff breeze); rough trade 1980 comp; misc. corrections and updates
12/1/1999: ubl mayo thompson site (which refers to this one--sweet!)
9/21/1999: "acid dreams vol. 2" comp
9/14/1999: leiterwagen stuff
9/13/1999: bio/discography link
9/3/1999: "rearcar 2" comp, van oehlen, cabaret voltaire, bruce yonemoto, articles
8/30/1999: pictures, girl friday ep, new times los angeles article
8/29/1999: on-line music index, stephen prina article, 1994 show review
8/18/1999: mayo thompson art for frederick barthelme books
8/12/1999: link to 1999 tour information, "victorine", "nine gross and conspicuous errors" video, earpeace reviews
7/5/1999: houston press article, "come on down" is limited edition
6/8/1999: "fingerpainting" released, correction to "rrr 500" listing
6/3/1999: untitled lock groove on rrr compilation, blue guitars "waterwings" and "shellfish"
5/5/1999: joerg schlick, ohio magazine singles, pictures
5/4/1999: "red crayola on 45" 7" is on leiterwagen label
5/3/1999: "seite a" songs, "live 1967" reviews, "black snakes" cover, misc.
4/30/1999: added more the red krayola links
4/28/1999: added "the red krayola" cover
4/27/1999: added the fall "how I wrote 'elastic man'", misc.
4/26/1999: added the red crayola with art language "olympia" opera, drag city link
4/24/1999: added rudiger carl/cowws quintet, "father abraham" remix ep, pictures
4/22/1999: added link section, the red krayola at the breakroom, the red krayola article, art & language link, picture
3/26/1999: added chills, blue guitars, stiff little fingers, "our band could be your life" comp, "an old man's dream" single, "deliverance" is an authorized bootleg?
3/13/1999: initiated discography
wap'iskka'w i'i'swi ayasowewiyiniwe 2oo5